Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The White Door II

Part 1


Part 2

I chuckle to myself, standing up and stretching my legs. 'Melissa, you read too much,' I chide my self. I slip through the open door back into my apartment and pop open the door on the microwave sitting near my windowsill. I slide in my coffee mug and start it up. It's probably the landlord, rehabbing another apartment, and leaving the door on my porch; I sway my head, smiling slightly, staring down at the floor, kicking at the chipped linoleum with the toe of my Converse.

That's when I heard a knocking. A deep bellow of a thumping. I didn't order any packages, I thought to myself as I crossed my apartment to my front door. Who would visit me in the middle of the day. I cautiously open my large front door and peer down the hall. No one. "Hello?" I ventured unnecessarily. No one was there. No one had been there. I felt a sinking chill descend in the pit of my stomach. Then I heard the knocking again and i knew where it was coming from this time.

No comments: